I just re-read my New Year's resolutions for last year. Very amusing. My favorite is #6: potty train Peter. I think I'll try that again this year!
Looking ahead, this coming year will be another crazy one with June being a climactic month: Bill graduates, we move, Bill gets promoted, Bill gets deployed. Yes, June is all about Bill.
Keeping this major upheaval in mind, here are this year's resolutions:
1. The Battle of the Baby Bulge: yes, I know, nine months on...nine months off. I'm going to try to do it in less. I can't help it. I'm very impatient.
2. Run 500 miles. Get my time down to a 9 minute mile over 5 or 6 miles. I'd like to do the Army Ten Miler, but with Bill gone, I don't see that happening. It's hard to find a babysitter for 5 am on a Sunday morning. Thank goodness we now have a treadmill, or I don't even think I'd get 100 miles run.
3. Sort photos. Really. I'm going to do it this year.
4. Read at least one book per month. Sadly this homeschool mother spends so much time reading to her kids, she's forgotten that there are books out there for grown ups. Some of them aren't even about real people, and they are quite entertaining.
5. Pay off the van. I hate having a car payment.
6. Potty train Peter. This time I mean it.
7. Pray the Morning Prayers every morning and the Evening Prayers every evening.
8. Keep up the Saturday night movie dates until Bill leaves. After that, I'll get tear-jerker chick flicks and a bag of Reese's peanut butter cups instead.
9. Resist the temptation to wash that gray right out of my hair. I've been one full year dye-free. The sun did a lovely job highlighting last spring, so I'll try to spend lots of time in the sun this year.
10. Teach my boys Hearts and Spades. Chinese checkers is fun, Blokus is great, Scrabble is challenging, but nothing beats a card game for portability and cut-throat competitiveness.
And I'll still do my new month's resolutions. Those are perfect for the little things I procrastinate about.
Happy New Year, everyone!